Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

16. april 1941
60.6 N, 8.32 W
Bombet og senket av fly [tyske fly]
1330 tonn stål , 2010 tonn skrapjern
Halifax - Loch Ewe
0 [0]
  • Referat

    25. april 1941
    Konsul L. Offerdahl


    Appeared the vessel's master, Einar Pedersen, who produced a written report prepared by him, dated Glasgow the 24th April 1941, with reference to the occurrence ...

    The Captain referred to the report as his evidence and added that he had been on board the vessel for 6 years and during that time there had never been anything wrong with the steering apparatus. On the 16th April, at 10.40 o'clock, the Captain had just come down from the bridge when he heard machine gun fire. He thought at first that it was the ship's machine gun whcih was firing. He at once ran up and by then probably 2 bombs had been dropped which had struck the no. 3 hatch on the deck on the starboard side. The Captain considers it a great miracle that no one was killed during the bombardment and the machine gun firing which was continued after the crew had got into the lifeboats.

    The convoy instructions were lying in a drawer of a locker in the captain's cabin and went down with the ship. There was no time to get hold of the ship's papers which were lying in a drawer in the saloon (in a despatch case).


    The 1st witness (Jacob Titlestad, Chief Officer and wireless operator) stated that he was sitting in the wireless room when the bombing commenced. He had been there since 8 o'clock in the morning. At 10.40 o'clock he suddenly heard machine gun fire and directly afterwards that a bomb had dropped. He then went out on the bridge where he got the ship's position from the captain. He then went back to try to use the wireless which, however, was found to be out of order. The witness otherwise made statement in accordance with the captain's report.

    The 2nd witness (Tolleif Aanensen, 3rd Offcier) stated that he had been on the bridge when the bombing commenced. He had been on the bridge from 6 o'clock in the morning and during that time neither seen nor heard any aeroplane. At 10.40 o'clock he was made aware by the lookout man on the upper bridge of an aeroplane which was coming straight for the vessel and was not flying much higher than the mast tops. The aeroplane at once commenced firing with machine gun and directly afterwards dropped two bombs which struck in way of the no. 3 hatch. The wintess at once ran over to the anti-aircraft marchine gun, but received a bullet in the thigh which stopped him. The witness got into the port lifeboat and there was fired round about from the aeroplane each time it passed over. No bullets hit the lifeboat, but they struck the sea close by.


    A.B. Seaman John Sollie, who was helmsman, and ordinary seaman Alf Andersen, who was look-out man on the upper bridge, had both been told to be witnesses at the Maritime Inquiry, but did not appear. Attempts were made in vain to get hold of them.