Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

24. juni 1941
Atlanterhavet, N 54.44, W 39.31
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
Bermuda - Hull
0 [0]
  • Referat

    11. juli 1941
    Konsul Johan Vogt
    2 britiske soldater og en britisk signalmann i tillegg til mannskapet - navn ukjent


    Then appeared the vessel's master who produced the following report, signed by himself, about the torpedoing. ...


    The master referred in all respects to the extract from the log book. He stated that everything was in the best possible order on board. Equipment and liefsaving appliances excellent. They had 1 motor boat on the starboard side which, however, went to pieces on account of a mishap during the lowering as one af the crew, ordinary seaman Alfred Larsen, got his hand jammed, in consequence of which they had to cut the falls.

    The master had nothing further to report about the casualty.


    3rd officer Erling Ness Pedersen ...

    The witness was the officer on watch when the casualty occurred and was standing on the starboard side of the bridge. He had not seen the U-boat and was not aware of anything before the torpedo exploded. The witness stated that the torpedo struck aft, the No. 4 cargo hold, and he was of opinion that the tunnel had been heavily damaged as water was pouring in there,which was the cause of the vessel sinking so quickly. The witness belonged to the port lifeboat; he was however knocked out of this, in consequence of which he swam across to the s/s "Traveller" where he was taken on board. He stated that there were three rafts on board, the aftermost was destroyed by the torpedo. The vessel was very well equipped and all the lifesaving appliances were in 1st class condition. He stated that the last boat drill had been carried out at Trinidad, but could not say definitely when. He stated that most of those on board lost their papers; all effects were lost. The witness stated that complete calm and order prevailed when they went into the boats. He stated that the whistle was set going on account of the explosion and that it was sounding the whole time as it had got jammed.

    He stated that they were on board the s/s "Traveller" for 10 days and that they received excellent treatment.

    The witness was conversant with the rules for sailing in convoy. All the convoy rules were punctually carried out the whole time.


    Chief engineer Sverre Pettersen ...

    The witness wasin the engine room when the casualty occurred. He stated that the torpedo struck on the port side and caused heavy damage to the ship. The witness assumed that the propeller shafting broke, and the tunnel was blown to pieces and filled with water. The witness tried to close the tunnel door, but did not succed in this as the water pressure was too strong and as he was alone.

    All lifesaving appliances were in excellent condition and lifeboats and rafts well equipped. He stated that all the crew's effects were lost. Complete order and calm prevailed during the launching of the boats and as far as the witness could see everything went on witnout a hitch and without mishap. When the witness came on deck the boats were already in the water.

    When they had come on board the s/s "Traveller" orders were given to let go the boats as the s/s "Traveller" did not want to wait longer than necessary.


    Ordinary seaman Alfred Larsen ...

    The witness was look-out man on the bridge on the port side. He saw nothing of the U-boat nor of the torpedo.

    Everything was in order on board and the lifesaving appliances in good order. He stated that there was a violent explosion and the vessel shook heavily.

    He further stated that the 3rd officer was also on the bridge at the moment of the explosion. The captain was in the chart room.

    The witness belonged to the port lifeboat and he took part in the lowering of it. However, he got his hand jammed during the lowering so that they had to cut the falls. His hand was not badly hurt.


    Knut Boland ...

    It was explained that owing to a misunderstanding the witness had not been notified about attending at the Maritime Inquiry. The witness, who was A.B. Seaman on board, was at the wheel when the casualty occurred.

    The witness went into the port lifeboat to which he belonged. He took part in the lowering of the lifeboat, which came into the water without mishap. He also took part in making sure that all were saved, and he stated that all the men came safely on board the s/s "Traveller". He stated that all the lifesaving appliances were in excellent condition and that the vessel was otherwise very well equipped.

    Otherwise, the witness made statement in accordance with the previous witnesses.


    The captain's extract was read out to all th witnesses, all of whom declared themselves in agreement with its contents. Captain Endresen of Nortraship was also present at this inquiry and was of very great assistance to Consul Vogt.