Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

9. februar 1944
Torpedert [av tysk ubåt]
Cochin - Aden - U.K.
0 [0]
  • Referat

    29. februar 1944
    Honorær visekonsul Paul Chevriot


    A written declaration made by the Master was read out ...


    Attention is particularly drawn to the Master's statement (verbal) that the official Logbook, and other ship's papers, including the wages account, were lost with the vessel.

    ... the Master, who on interrogation stated that the the time at which his vessel was torpedoed, he3was in his cabin. He said that he had been thrown bodily into the saloon by the force of the explosion, the ship listing from 20 degr. to 25 degr. to starboard. There was an inrush of water, accompanied by fumes from the exploding torpedo. He then recovered himself and proceeded to the navigating bridge where he found that the port midships lifeboat was being lowered in charge of the Chief Officer. He added that he had observed the starboard lifeboat to be completely destroyed. He assisted in the lowering of the port boat, after which he returned to the saloon in order to recover the ship's papers, but owing to the presence of heavy fumes, this was impossible, and the Master stated that he subsequently went on deck, proceeding aft, where he joined the crew in No. 4 lifeboat, which had been, meantime, lowered. He stated that then all three lifeboats, being safely in the water, pulled away from the ship for a distance of about half a mile, when the vessel was observed to receive a second torpedo and appeared to break in two, the stern half disappearing first, followed by the forward end, which rose out of the water and sank. The master then stated that he ordered the respective crews of the lifeboats to row from the scene, keeping together, and at midnight of the 9th February 1944, they stopped and divided the numbers of crew in each boat equally. Sail was hoisted, the boats proceeding in company until the 11th February 1944, when they were picked up by the British s/s "MARWARRI".


    ... the first Witness, Carlsberg A. Andersen (Chief Engineer), who stated that he was in the engine-room when the first torpedo struck the steamer. A severe shock was felt and water poured down the engineroom skylight and ventilators. Engines were stopped on orders from the bridge, and later the alarm signal sounded to man the lifeboats. Witness whereupon proceeded on deck to the starboard motor lifeboat, which was found in badly damaged condition. Witness then joined the port midships lifeboat, which was already lowered. This Witness was asked if he considered that the deck watches were adequate during navigation in which steamer had been torpedoed, and his reply was in the affirmative.

    The second Witness, Erling Ringdal (Chief Officer), was then called. He stated that he was in his cabin at the time steamer was torpedoed, and was thrown to the floor on the impact of the torpedo. He recovered himself, and in spite of the rush of water through the alleyway, he recovered and succeeded in gaining the chartroom where he was requested by the radio officer to help the latter in endeavouring to start the main transmitter. Their efforts being unsuccesful, Witness proceeded to the port midships lifeboat to assist in lowering the boat, which he later took command. Witness wishes to state that the ship's secret documents were left in the chartroom and that he is of the firm opinion that they were lost with the vessel.

    The third Witness, Guttorm Monsen (Able Seaman), on interrogation, stated that he was on bridge lookout and was standing on the starboard side of the navigating bridge. He said that he was unable to recollect clearly what actually occurred for some moments after steamer was torpedoed, but that on realising that the ship had been torpedoed, he proceeded aft to No. 2 (starboard) lifeboat, where he joined the other members of the crew of the boat. In reply to the question, he said that in his opinion, all members of the officers and crew did their duty and that before the incident, all measures had been taken for the proper protection of the ship.

    The fourth Witness, Peder Pedersen (3rd Officer), on being interrogated, said that when vessel was torpedoed, he was on watch on the bridge. He stated that he felt a heavy shock, accompanied by a spout of water which rose to a considerable height, and was thrown off his feet. He recovered himself and immediately rang down the engines, sounding the alarm bell. He said that he then proceeded aft to the port side lifeboat, which he lowered in company with other members of the crew. He stated that he had nothing otherwise to report.