Sjøforklaring 1939 - 1945

Informasjonen nedenfor vedr. skip i Nortraships flåte er direkte avskrift av orginalkilden "Sjøforklaringer fra andre verdenskrig (1940 - 1945)". Informasjonen her er fra sjøforklaringer holdt under og rett etter krigen og kan derfor avvike noe fra den øvrige kvalitetssikrede informasjonen i Krigsseilerregisteret.

30. juni 1940
Tilbakeholdt i Casablanca, flyttet til Port Lyautey
  • Referat

    17. desember 1941
    Konsul Majaor J. G. Douglas

    According to previous arrangement a Maritime Declaration was held at the Royal Norwegian Consulate in Gibraltar on the 17th December 1941, in consequence of the loss of Ordinary Seaman, INGOLF TVEDT, by falling overboard from a small boat in which he was escaping from the Motorship "NYHORN" detained by the French Authorities at Port Lyautey, French Morocco.

    Chief Mate, HANS L. OMLAND, appeared ...

    He was officer in charge of the improvised boat at the time the man was lost, and holds Master's Certificate ...

    He produced a signed statement detailing the events on the voyage of the boat from Port Lyautey, showing the number of men in the boat, and the statement is signed by all. The Chief Mate referred to the signed statement, and furthermore declared that:-

    He had served 10 years on the "NYHORN", two years as Second Officer and eight years as Chief Officer.

    The ship had been detained in French Morocco for one year and a half. Recently it had been agreed amongst almost all the crew that they should endeavour to escape from French custody, and he warned them of the risks they would run.

    All the lifeboats had been removed from the ship by the French Authorities, so it was decided to build an improvised boat of wood and canvas for the purpose.

    This had to be done with great secrecy, the boat was well equipped with one lifebelt for each person.

    The boat left Port Lyautey on the 8th December 1941 at about 9.00 p.m. having on board besides the Chief Officer, Hans L. Omland, the 3rd Engineer, Karlief Karstensen, Cook, Magne Thordal, Ordinary Seaman, Siguard Langeland and the missing man Ordinary Seaman, Ingolf Tvedt.

    When crossing the bar shortly after the starting the boat shipped water which spoilt all the three flash lights which they had with them in the boat.

    The weather was fine with a fair Southerly wind blowing which carried the boat along on the desired course without using the sail.

    All went well until the night of the 10th December when off Cape Espartel just before midninght, about one mile from shore, the lighthouse bearing clearly visible, when the Chief Mate heard a splash, call out Tvedt overboard and threw a lifebelt overboard. All were rowing at the time and the current was carrying the boat along at a good speed.

    The boat was turned round and they tried to row back but could not make much headway owing to the strong current, they called out but could hear no answer, they could not find either Tvedt or the lifebelt.

    They rowed round until after daylight about 8.00 a.m. on the 11th December when as no sign was seen of the missing man or the lifebelt, it was decided by conference that Tvedt was lost and it was best to continue the voyage.

    The wind changed to the North East about noon on the 12th December and the boat could not make any headway.

    At about 3.00 p.m. on Saturday 13th December they came across the Spanish Fishing vessel "MACHACO" of Almeria, which took the boat in tow.

    The captain of the "MACHACO" wished to put into Tangier which was then about 5 miles distant, but all from the "NYHORN" persuaded him to bring them on to Gibraltar where they arrived at about 9.00 a.m. on the 14th December.

    A representative from the Norwegian Consul took charge of all soon after arrival.

    They were very kindly treated by the Captain and crew of the "MACHACO", who were suitably recompensed by the Consul at Gibraltar.

    The Chief Mate believes that INGOLF TVEDT was drowned but there is just the chance that he may have secured the lifebelt and swum ashore.

    Ingolf Tvedt had never threatened to commit suicide nor had he made any particular complaint about the hardship of a voyage in an improvised boat.

    He was a good swimmer, was barefooted, was wearing kharki trousers and a blue lumber jacket when he fell overboard. He had a small canvas bag containing his personal papers slung round his neck.

    In reply to questions from the Consul the Chief Mate stated that he believed that Ingolf Tvedt stood up to stretch himself, and although the boat was fairly steady, he must have lost his balance and fallen over the side.

    Nothing more could have been done to have saved the man, who was lost from pure misfortune.


    FIRST WITNESS:- The 3rd Engineer, KARLIEF KARSTENSEN, who deposed that he had signed the statement produced today. He furthermore declared that:

    He had served on the "NYHORN" for six years.

    He had heard the Chief Officer, Hans L. Omland, warn everyone before leaving Port Lyautey of the serious risk they were running in attempting to escape in an improvised boat.

    He had read the statement made by the said Chief Mate and signed same as he agreed with the said statement.

    He agreed that everything possible was done to find Ingolf Tvedt, after he had fallen overboard in the night of 10th December. There was the chance he might be carried along by the current to safety but not much.

    Tvedt was amidships in the boat and nobody was very near him when he fell overboard, it was quite dark and noe one saw him fall or what caused him to go over the side.


    Thereupon appeared as: SECOND WITNESS:- Ordinary Seaman, Sigurd Langeland, and deposed that:

    He had been Ordinary Seaman on the "NYHORN" for two and a half years.

    He had heard the Chief Officer, Hans L. Omland, warn everyone of the risk they were running by leaving Port Lyautey in the small boat.

    He understood the statement written by the Chief Officer which he had signed being in agreement.

    He did not see Ingolf Tvedt fall over the side of the boat on the night of the 10th December because he was trying to sleep right aft, but he heard the plash, he heard no call from Tvedt either before or after falling. Tvedt had not complained about the discomforts of being in the boat, and Tvedt had never threatened suicide.

    He was sure that everything possible was done to find Tvedt.

    He thought there might be a chance of his getting ashore or being picked up. No other boats were seen at that time.


    Thereupon appeared as: THIRD WITNESS:- Cook, MAGNE THORDAL, and deposed that:-

    He had served on the "NYHORN" for three and a half years.

    He had heard the Chief Officer, Hans L. Omland, warn everyone before leaving Port Lyautey of the serious risk they were running by attempting to get away in the boat they had made.

    He understood the statement made by the Chief Officer and had signed same being in agreement with it.

    He did not acutally see Ingolf Tvedt fall overboard from the boat on the night of the 10th December because he was sitting right aft and not looking that way whilst Tvedt was amidships, he heard a splash but heard no cry. Ingolf Tvedt made no complaints about being uncomfortable in the boat, he had never threatened to take his own life.

    The Chief Officer threw a lifebelt into the water immedialely and everything possible was done to find the missing man.

    There is a slight chance he might be carried on shore or picked up although he saw no other boats at the time.